Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Update 2: Started Bad Ended Good

Now that I'm caught up I'll be a little more specific with dates. So we, and future patients, can get a better feel for the speed of progression. I'm still sort of ok. Nothing really major has happened with regards to falling or stuff like that. I have decided I can't wear dress shoes with heels anymore. I gave them one more chance last night and they really made me wobble. I'll have to find some flat soled shoes.
Enough of that. Here are some functional updates. Some are pretty cool:

  • June 10th, '14 – The toploading washing machine was removed. The dryer was moved and its door flipped and the cinder blocks to elevate both machines to a bar stool level have been placed. I should have the new front loading washer Friday, the 13th. I'll post a picture of the solution. It should make a huge difference.
  • June 12, '14 – Today was very busy. I received a phone call from Johns Hopkins to schedule a muscle biopsy on my arm. They want to do my left arm. I'm requesting the right arm since I'm left handed. I'm waiting for an answer to that request. This is the "weird" and "odd" of the whole thing. If my left arm is immobilized for 3 days due to the biopsy I've lost strength and now I'm also using a weaker, unskilled limb. A conundrum! I'm hoping they chose the left thinking I was right handed.
  • June 12, '14 – I got my wheelchair prescription this morning. A very easy phone call to my family doctor. They didn't even ask why. I walked in and picked it up in 15 minutes. A quick phone call to my insurance company, Highmark BC/BS, got me an approved vendor list. So I'll have a wheelchair on its way by end of business today! This is important because I have a fishing trip, 3 baseball games and a Blue Angels air show all coming up. Handicap parking or not I've learned that there is still a lot of distance to cover. It's not fair to my friends to have to be near me with their shoulder/elbow in case I stumble. It slows us all down. Now they can push me safely/quickly and pile all of their umbrellas, coolers, chairs and purses in my lap! Reciprocation is how I roll! Pun intended.
  • June 12, '14 – THE BIG GOOD NEWS! My commercial fitness client, Ener•G Wellness called. The owner, Matt Torggler, knows that I have a problem and he was checking up on me. He is going to help me acquire a seated cardio workout machine that does arms and legs. This is great news because I really need to workout again. Never mind weight loss or cardio health I haven't been able to "clear my head" in more than a year. Long cardio workouts allow me to disappear from the world for a while and get thoughts out and processed. I need the rust and cobwebs kicked out of my noggin. I'm excited about this development. Plus it will make me the most handsome MD patient out there! Further, he is going to have my strength gym removed. It is giant and complicated. So that's awesome. It's in the way for the addition we're putting on the house. It's sitting in the future bathroom right now.

Oh, my solution for laundry worked like a charm! The idea was a "French door" scenario so that the switching from washer to dryer was easiest. Also, I'm tall. So putting both machines up on two rows of cinder blocks get them to a height that a barstool can easily accomodate. Boom. No need to bend over or sit on a short stool....which is even worse than bending over.



I hope this helps anyone that finds themselves having a difficult time doing their own laundry. Now I need a clever solution for folding them. My hands get really tired doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment